Proudly Promoting Texas Herefords for 107 Years    


by Frank Reeves, as printed from the May 1959 Texas Hereford

(Editor's Note: The Texas Hereford Association is now in its 60th year. Little history had been written of the Association. Realizing that much of the information now available would have been lost in a few years, we have obtained photographs and asked Frank Reeves, Livestock Editor of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram to write the Association history. We know of no one better qualified to do this job. The many old clippings, books and records gleaned from various sources plus his intimate knowledge of the men and breed about which he writes make an interesting historical record.

All pictures of former presidents and secretaries have been made into 11 x 14 portrait size and placed in a leather-bound album in the Association office files. The few that are missing will be added if they become available. We are grateful to the many people who have supplied clippings, information and pictures for this history.)

        Sixty years of fruitful accomplishments and still growing! That briefly but modestly describes the achievement of a handful of Texas cattlemen who conceived and initiated the founding of The Texas Hereford Association. The organizational meeting was held in a boot shop in San Antonio on November 7, 1899. All the participants have gone to the land of no return.
        If through some act of divine providence they are permitted to look down on this mundane sphere and observe the realities of their initial thinking and organizational activities, they undoubtedly are a thankful and grateful group of cattlemen. Three score years ago Texas had an abundance of wide open areas and no densely populated section. The present day urge to organize had not developed to any appreciable extent.
        The 1959 membership roll of the Association and the common knowledge of what the Association has consistently sponsored and achieved in the betterment of the beef cattle industry in the Lone Star State is a matter of official record. The record of the beef cattle industry shows undisputable evidence of the part Texas Hereford breeders have played in supplying beef for the nation. The nation's show ring records tell another convincing story of what Texas bred Herefords have done. The records of the American Hereford Association at Kansas City reveal that Texas has more registered Herefords than any other state in the Union. It seems fair to assume that if this group of men had been composed of fainthearted doubters instead of the imaginative and visionary men they were, the history of the Hereford industry for Texas could have- been much less impressive.
        A study of the early-day records of the Association shows that these men had a definite credo in mind as to the necessity for such an association. Evidently they were thinking of the future of their favorite breed of cattle in an unselfish manner rather than for immediate personal gains. Article I of the By-Laws says: "Its object shall be the uniting, fostering and protecting of the interests of the Hereford breeders of the State of Texas." It can be said to the credit of the men who have followed in the footsteps of these forward -looking, objective-thinking, early-day cattlemen, that they have unhesitatingly accepted the tenets of the founders. Not only have they raised the level of the beef cattle industry in Texas, but they have participated in the betterment of the breed for the entire United States and Mexico in its program to provide more and better beef for the fast growing population that throughout the years has regarded beef as its Number One food item.
        If a written record was made of the names of the men who attended the first meeting in San Antonio and those who actually joined and the names of the men who were selected to direct the activities of this young organization, no one has been able to find it. The word of mouth reports of relatives and friends, all well-meaning and immensely helpful but dimmed by years, do not always agree on just who did attend this and other later early-day meetings. It is not only likely but highly probable that some people are unintentionally overlooked in this report. Anyone less resourceful and determined than your current secretary would not have been able to gather as much as Henry Elder has brought together. He has done this by writing many letters, personal interviews and telephone calls. Numerically they are much larger than you suspect. To all of these Henry Elder and this writer say "Thanks a million." It is regrettable that this was not done many years earlier.
        If there is one specific thing for which this early-day group of cattlemen that founded and kept going the Texas Hereford Association can be criticized for not doing, it is their failure to keep complete and accurate records of just what happened, who made it happen and who attended the meetings. Pioneer cattlemen were woefully allergic to keeping records. Many important cattle deals that ran into impressive figures were nothing more than vest pocket memorandums that mentioned they had sold or bought so many cattle of such and such ages for delivery about such and such date at designated prices for particular ages. Many of these vest pocket note books were retained no longer than the starting of a new year.
        A big majority of the men who have served as president of the Texas Hereford Association from the time it was organized in 1899 to 1959 have served more than one term, but they have been consecutive terms with one exception. George D. Keith of Wichita Falls was president in 1925 and 1926, and then he was re-elected again in 1936 and 1937.
    These 28 different men came from many sections of Texas and people who knew them will tell you that there was a wide variation in their personal characteristics and how they operated their individual herd of Herefords, but they had one common characteristic-they were dedicated to the betterment of Hereford cattle. They certainly did follow any set pattern in their programs for serving the Association, but their individual variations enabled them to solve problems due to changing times. This variation in the approach to the Association affairs probably helped rather than weaken the achievements during this 60-year existence.
        The number of men to serve as Secretary has been about one-third as large as the number who served as President. This has been due to the fact that most of them have served for longer periods of time than the Presidents did. Henry Elder and John P. Lee served as Secretary longer than any of the others. Some of the records are a little vague as to just how long John P. Lee served as Secretary. Here again their varied personalities fit in well with changing conditions.
        This review of the activities of the Association during the first 60 years it was in existence is not intended to evaluate the services rendered by different individuals. Some of them will be, given more space than others, but this is due to the fact that the families and friends of some had more data than others.


         Capt. William S. (Sude) Ikard of Henrietta was the first President and he is credited with being first in some other things in connection with the Hereford industry. He was born on July 7, 1847 in Smithville, Mississippi and Henrietta, Texas was his home when he died on September 13, 1934.
        Capt. Ikard had established himself as an experienced cattleman long before he had ever seen a Hereford. He and his brother operated for a time under the name of E. F. Ikard & Bros. They started cattle ranching in Clay County in 1871 and at one time their holdings contained around 60,000 acres.
        While attending the Philadelphia Centennial in 1876 he saw his first Hereford and was quick to realize their superior meat characteristics over the cattle he had been raising in Clay County.

        Either on his way back from the Philadelphia Centennial or a short time after he returned to Texas, Captain Ikard went to Indiana and Illinois and purchased some 10 or 12 animals. This was the beginning of several purchases of Herefords for shipment to Texas. The cattle were purchased with the full knowledge that there was a strong possibility they would contact fever and die. Texas was infested with fever producing ticks and a means of eradicating them had not been discovered. The cattle were shipped to Denison and then driven to his Clay County ranch. The mortality rate among the cattle brought in by Captain Ikard was distressingly high from fever. One less determined would have given up.
        Just how many cattle Captain Ikard purchased and brought to Texas and just how many died is not known. A search through the first two volumes of the American Hereford Record shows the following: Entry No. 699 was a bull named Douglass that was bred by T. L. Miller of Beecher, 111. He was dropped July 22, 1875 and his sire was Success 2 and his dam was Highland Lady 700. This bull was registered by Ward Brothers, Henrietta. Evidently this bull was purchased by Ikard.
        Entry 862 was a bull named Prince 2d that was dropped April 22, 1876. His sire was Success 2 and his dam was Highland Lass 701. These two bulls were sired by the same bull and their dams were evidently sisters. This bull was registered by Ikard Brothers. Ikard had three other cattle registered. Entry 911 was the bull Sir Arthur 4th bred by Miller that was dropped April 28, 1876. His, sire was Sir Arthur 2d and his dam was Duchess of Beaufort. Entry 923 was the bull Thomas and dropped March 10, 1876 and his sire was Sir Arthur and his dam was Jenny Lind, and he was bred by Ben Abbe of Elyria, Ohio.
        Entry 934 was the bull Uncle Sam bred by Miller and dropped March 5, 1876 and his sire was Prince 861 and his dam was Dolly Varden 5th.
        The late Lewis Johnson of Jacksboro, lived in the Ikard home when he was a young man and was teaching school at Henrietta. Before his death Johnson wrote the following:
        "The first cattle registered by Captain Ikard are found in volume 11, page 307 of the American Hereford Record. These are two cows, Miss Valentine 42511 and Prairie Queen 42512; dropped Feb. 14 and Jan. 31, 1889, respectively. On the same page and on following page appears the name of Willie S. & J. B. Ikard as having recorded two bulls. Ikard of Sunnyside 42513 and Ikard 2d of Sunnyside 42514, and the cow Patti 2d 42515, calved Jan. 30, March 28, and Jan. 30, 1890 respectively.
        "The firm name continued as W. S. & J. B. Ikard up to the dispersion of the herd. It so happens that Captain Ikard’s initials are 'W. S.' Contrary to general belief, the ‘W.S. Ikard' of W. S. & J. B. Ikard was not the Captain, but his oldest child, a daughter Willie Susan Ikard, now Mrs. Richard Carrow, and the 'J. B. Ikard' was his second daughter, Jennie Belle Ikard, commonly known as Pat or Patricia Ikard, now Mrs. Wallace Mellvain. Other later registrations were made in the names of his sons and daughters."
        Other early-day registrations made by Texans include the bull Cato registration number 1121 that was registered by Reynolds Bros., Fort Griffin. Registration number 1169 was a bull, Brighton, registered by Lee and Reynolds.
        E. Burleson of Bastrop had registration number 2771 for a bull named Victor.
        It is very likely that Captain Ikard did not register the animals as he purchased them and certainly those that did not survive the fever tick.



        Most any Texan who knows anything about the early-day history of Herefords can tell you that the Rhome family played a major part in introducing Herefords in this area, that they had excellent breeding stock and were active in developing shows, but it has been difficult to get much specific data about their cattle operations.
        This is the only father-son team that has held the office of president of the Texas Hereford Association and B. C. Rhome, Jr. also served as secretary for a time. The Rhome herd participated in the first livestock show held at Fort Worth, and the herd was one of the winners at the State Fair at Dallas. Someone has recalled that one year the Rhome show herd of Herefords started to the Dallas show in a number of horse drawn wagons and a heavy rain caused so much mud that the cattle had to be unloaded.

        Fred Cotten of Weatherford, and a nephew of Mr. And Mrs. B. C. Rhome, Jr., has supplied this information.
        Col. B. C. Rhome, Sr., came to Texas as a boy from New York, and was the son of Peter Rhome. He had a mercantile business at Aurora, which was about three miles southwest of the present town of Rhome. Later he moved his business to what is now Rhome, which he named for himself.
        Soon after Herefords were on exhibition at the Centennial at Philadelphia in 1876, Rhome Sr., purchased his first Herefords, four heifers and one bull.
        B. C. Rhome, Jr., was born in 1880 and took charge of the ranch about 1898 and Rhome Sr. moved to Fort Worth. B. C., Jr., died in 1941 and his widow was an honorary member of the association, in 1958.
        It is recalled that Col. Rhome hired a herdsman named "Dad" Short, and he is thought to be the first to wash and curl the hair of the show cattle at Dallas. B. C., Jr., purchased brown sugar by the barrel and each day he gave each show animal a handful of sugar to make their hair glossy.
        While B. C. Jr., was manager of the Fort Worth show about 1907 or 1908, in order to increase the number of herds at Fort Worth, which had been losing money, he attended the American Royal at Kansas City and invited the exhibitors to come to Fort Worth. He gave a dinner and placed a fancy bottle of champagne at each plate. The next year there was a large entry list and the show was a financial success.
        The Rhomes were careful to have brood cows that were good milk producers. They purchased many of their herd sires from Gudgell & Simpson.
        Previous published lists of officers of the Association which were thought to be correct evidently had some unintentional errors as to the dates certain men served either as President or Secretary, and one new President has been disclosed.
        The J. F. Yearwood family of Georgetown, in submitting some data, included a copy of the By-Laws of the Texas Hereford Association and Minutes of the annual meeting on March 12, 1909, contains some overlooked facts. The Minutes under the date of March 16, 1909 state:
        "The annual meeting of The Texas Hereford Association was held at Fort Worth, Texas, in the parlor of the Delaware Hotel and was called to order by Col. Oscar L. Miles, President, at 8:30 p.m. The following officers were present."
        Just when Col. Oscar L. Miles was elected and whether he served one or two terms is not known. It is in direct conflict with the old records that list Phil C. Lee of San Angelo, as serving as president from 1908 to 1910. It would seem probable that Lee only served as president for one year.
        Another discrepancy disclosed by the minutes shows that B. C. Rhome, Jr., of Saginaw, Texas, was then serving as secretary-treasurer. Previous reports show that John P. Lee served as secretary from 1906 to 1922. The minutes were signed by B. C. Rhome, Jr., Secretary-treasurer.
        The March 16, 1909 Minutes also lists P. C. Lee as second vice-president. Later on the minutes state:
        "The minutes of the last annual meeting were read and approved.
        The election of officers being the next order of business, the following were elected for the ensuing year: J. E. Boog-Scott, president, Coleman; R. H. McNatt, first Vice-President, Fort Worth; J. B. Salyer, second Vice-President, Jonah, Texas; P. C. Lee, third Vice-President, San Angelo; T. M. Hoben, fourth Vice-President, Nocona; M. W. Hovenkamp, fifth Vice-President, Keller; B. C. Rhome, Jr., Secretary Treasurer, Saginaw.
        Names of the men who were elected as members of the Association included the following: J. C. Dibrell, Coleman; J. L. Ely, San Angelo; J. B. Cook & Son, Beeville, W. T. Lewis, Olga and A. F. Crowley, Fort Worth.
        John Lee, M. W. Hovenkamp and R. H. McNatt were named as members of a committee to audit the books of the secretary"
        The By-Laws and Minutes of the annual meeting of the Association under date of March 15, 1911, state:
        "The 12th annual meeting of the Texas Hereford Association was held at Fort Worth in the parlor of the Westbrook Hotel and was called to order by J. B. Salyer, president, at 8:30 p.m. Phil C. Lee was shown as First Vice-President and John P. Lee, San Angelo, as Secretary and Treasurer."
        "The election of officers being the next order of business, the following were elected: J. B. Salyer, President, Jonah; Phil C. Lee, first Vice-President; J. E. Boog-Scott, second Vice-President; J. C. Dibrell, third Vice-President; C. M. Largent, fourth Vice-President; M. W. Hovenkamp, fifth Vice-President; John P. Lee, Secretary-Treasurer."
        In a listing of the awards at the National Feeders and Breeders Show for 1911 at Fort Worth, Lee Bros. of San Angelo had the grand champion bull, Druid of Point Comfort. C. M. Largent of Merkel, had the grand champion cow, Victoria
        Previous reports have listed J. E. Boog-Scott as serving as President for the year 1913-1914. If that be correct, he, too, served as President of the Association with a break between his terms of office. The minutes for March 16, 1909 lists him as being elected as President. The minutes also say that J. B. Salyer as president called the meeting to order in 1911
        These men were so busy making Hereford history in Texas that they did not take time to keep records.


        Little is known of Col. Oscar L. Miles except the records show that he was listed as from Fort Worth and was elected president at the annual meeting in 1908. He was known to have lived at Ft. Smith, Ark.
        Frank Scofield, Austin, veteran breeder and exhibitor of Shorthorn cattle, had this to say about Col. Miles:
        "He was the breeder of Druid of Point Comfort. After Oscar Miles' death, his herd was dispersed and Davis and Sons of Jackson, Mississippi, bought this two year old bull Druid of Point Comfort, fitted him and showed him at the International where he was Grand Champion bull. Frank Harding was with me and his attention was called to the just crowned Grand Champion in the arena at the International. I said, 'Frank, this is a great regret to me that Oscar Miles could not have lived to see this happen,' because he had visualized and talked with a number of his friends a number of times that the height of his ambition was to breed a bull good enough to be Champion at Chicago.
        In the early part of this century Oscar Miles had the top herd of Hereford cattle south of the tick line. Oscar Miles was General Attorney for the Iron Mountain Railroad System. I will say that Oscar Miles was a man among men and the great Southwestern section of these United States was a better place for the rest of us to live because Oscar Miles lived."


        The Lee Brothers of Tankersley and frequently referred to as being from San Angelo, earned a prominent place in the cattle and ranching business in Texas by their long years of consistent service to the cattle industry. The brothers were John P. and Phil C. and their ranch was near Tankersley and earned high rank because of its many years of existence under a continuous ownership. Their entry into the registered Hereford business dates back to 1898. They were also great admirers of good horses.

        John P. Lee was born in Philadelphia, where his father, Philip C. Lee, Sr., was a railroad man. He was injured by a falling derrick and he moved his family to San Antonio, Texas, on the advice of his doctor to go to a warmer climate. This was in 1878.
        The elder Lee bought a herd of cattle at San Antonio in partnership with Dennis Riley of Lancaster, Pa., a capitalist. The herd was moved in 1879 to a place on Spring Creek west of San Angelo where the Lees lived in a dugout. The elder Lee was killed in 1890 when a horse fell on him. John Lee was 14 years old when he assumed the management of his father's estate. The Riley and Lee herd of 10,625 cattle and some 75,000 acres of land were divided and the Lee family received some 26,000 acres of the better land.
        John Lee told Henry Elder that he and his brother had been to the International Livestock Show at San Antonio the year the Texas Hereford Association was formed, 1899, but had to leave for the ranch and did not attend the organization meeting.
        When a livestock meeting of any kind was held in Texas John P. Lee was likely to be there. He was never radical in his views but always had the courage of his convictions as to what was right or wrong and what seemed best for the cattle industry. If the number of miles he traveled to attend livestock events were known they would be startling.
        In the early 1900's the Lee herd of Herefords collected many prizes. In an interview for The Texas Hereford he recalled that in 1911 the Champion Bull at Fort Worth and San Antonio was from the Lee herd, and in 1910 and 1911, the first priz4 age herd at Fort Worth was the Lee entry. This herd supplied the Champion Bull, Hereford of course, at the Fort Worth show in 1907, Champion herd at San Antonio in 1908 and the Champion Cow at the Texas State Fair at Dallas in 1910; first and second place yearling heifers at Fort Worth in 1907, Champion Bull at Fort Worth in 1906, Grand Champion Steer at the World's Fair in St. Louis in 1904 and Champion Steer at Dallas, San Antonio, Denison and Fort Smith, Arkansas in 1906.
        He recalled the first show held at Fort Worth when C. C. Slaughter of Dallas brought over a bull in a box car and he was judged in the box car. Other old timers recall that other show entries were tied to trees near where the packing plants are now located. He was connected with the Fort Worth Show for several years.
        Lee purchased his first registered Herefords, 16, cows and a bull, in 1898 from Billy Anson of Valera. The cows cost $200 and the bull $500.
        John Lee also told Henry Elder that the following Hereford breeders were in San Antonio for the show and he was reasonably sure they were in attendance when the Association was *formed: W. S. Ikard, Henrietta; M. S. Gordon, Weatherford; B. C. Rhome, Sr., Rhome; B. C. Rhome, Jr. Rhome; J. F. Yearwood, Georgetown; J. B. Salyer, Jonah; Guy or Frank Newsom; Tom M. Hoben, Nocona; John R. Lewis, Sweetwater; B. S. Coffee of Nebraska and George town, Texas (a brother-in-law of J. F. Yearwood, who was a guest). Mrs. Eunice Yearwood, Georgetown, daughter of J. F. Yearwood, one of those definitely known to have at- tended the organizational meeting furnished the same list of breeders in attendance with only the addition of B. F. Coffee. Lee said "There were about a dozen to attend the organizational meeting." The International Livestock Show had attracted a large number of people and the hotels were full and they had no place to meet so a boot maker invited. the group to use his shop for their meeting.
        One of the classic early-day stories connected with the Fort Worth Show had John Lee as a main actor. He was likeable, considerate and easy to get along with, but like all good Irishmen he did not like to be pushed around.
        At one of the Fort Worth shows while he was Livestock Superintendent, one of the exhibitors did not stand as high in the class as he thought he should. When he was given his ribbon designating his placing in that class he showed his displeasure by throwing the ribbon to the ground and then stepping on it.
        Lee usually had a merry twinkle in his eyes, but those who saw this incident say his eyes sparked beads of fire and he told the exhibitor in no uncertain terms that he must pick up the ribbon and apologize to the judge or he would never be allowed to show at Fort Worth again. The man did."


John P. Lee and J. E. Boog-Scott, Sr. were the first two members to be honored as Honorary Members of the Texas Hereford Association. This is all the record shows up to 1945. Since that time the following have been so honored:

Phil C. Lee, San Angelo
Mrs. J. E. Boog-Scott, Godley
Mrs. R. J. Cook, Beeville
Mrs. B. C. Rhome, Jr., Fort Worth
Dr. Chas. H. Harris, Fort Worth
Mrs. Rupert Harkrider, Sr., Abilene
J. N. Edens, Corsicana
W. T. Montgomery, San Antonio
Charles Pettit, Walnut Springs
Fred Pronger, Stratford
P. J. Pronger, Sr., Stratford
R. T. Alexander, Canadian
Walter L. Boothe, Sweetwater
John C. Burns, Fort Worth
Mitchell M. Cox, Brownwood
John McInnis, Brownwood
R. J. Roeder; Sr., Yorktown
Harrie B. Winston, Snyder


        The late J. E. Boog-Scott was widely known in all sections of Texas, but Godley was his home during his later life. He was elected as president of the association first 1909 and again in 1913 and re-elected in 1914.

        For a number of years he was in the cattle business near Coleman. That was before there were any 4-H club boys, but he and some of his Coleman friends sponsored a project somewhat similar to the present day 4-H Club work. He urged the boys to feed cattle and then to further interest in such work he brought wagon loads of toys to the Fort Worth show.
        He was one of a group of men that took several cars of cattle to Mexico and after having them on display in Mexico he spent considerable time in disposing of the cattle. This brought about better relations between the cattlemen of Mexico and the cattlemen of Texas. It made it easier for the officials of the two areas to better understand the needs of their neighbors.
        The Texas Hereford Association made Boog-Scott and John P. Lee honorary life members of the association without the payment of annual dues. They were the only two men ever to receive this recognition.
        J. E. Boog-Scott, Jr., took over the family ranch after the death of his father.


    The late J. F. Yearwood of Georgetown, participated in the organization meeting at San Antonio in 1899, and then served as president in 1917, 1918 and 1919, and later as a director. He was a cowman from every angle and keenly realized the value of quality. 

     He was born Oct. 30, 1859 at Sweetwater in Monroe County in east Tennessee. His people came to the Carolinas from England during the Colonial Days. He left his Tennessee home and arrived at Round Rock, Texas, on May 2, 1879. Ten days later he went to work on a farm for D. H. and J. W. Snyder and was there nearly two years.
       In March, 1881, he left Round Rock in charge of a bunch of saddle horses to be taken to the Jim Day pasture in Cole­man County. He helped to round two herds of cattle in Cole­man and adjoining counties. A. G. Boyce was in charge of the outfit. He went with the trail herds to Julesburg Junction in Colorado. He worked for three months on the LF ranch on the line of Colorado and help to gather 5,300 beeves. He went with the. last shipment to Chicago and from there to, Williamson County, Texas. From there he went to the Renderbrook Spring Ranch in Mitchell County and worked for the Snyders on the JT Bar ranch. The Ren­derbrook Spring is on what is now known as the Spade Ranch.
     When the Snyders sold their ranch to Elwood, Yearwood went to work on the Yellow House and Spring Lake Divisions of the XIT Ranch. Soon he was placed in charge of the Spring Lake Division. He left the XIT Ranch in December, 1891 and returned to Georgetown and in February, 1892 he married Miss Josephine Coffee.
    Some of Yearwood's friends thought he acted very fool­ishly when he paid $170 for his first registered Hereford bull. He thought otherwise and that marked the beginning of his entry to the ranks of the Hereford fraternity. Through all his years he continued to admire Herefords and he pro­moted the industry in many ways giving advice to those who asked for it and supplying others with foundation breed­ing stock.
    He was president of the Central Hereford Association, a member of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, he was an official of the Waco Cotton Palace, and a director of the First National Bank of Georgetown.
     It was but natural that his sons and daughters acquired their father's liking for Herefords. They are still raising registered Herefords on the same place in Williamson County near Georgetown that has been known as "Hereford Home" for over sixty years.
    There is no information available about two of the men who served as president of the association, J. B. Salyer, Jonah; K. H. Faulkner of Tolar.


        R. J. Cook of Beeville headed the association as president in 1920, and he died in Beeville in November, 1930. He not only was a breeder of registered Herefords but he was president of the Bee County Fair at the time of his death in Beeville - the fair was in session at that time.

        His father is thought to be the first, certainly one of the first, to bring registered Herefords into Bee County, but the exact date is not known. He drove the cattle overland to get them to Bee County and many of them died from fever. A distant relative has two silver loving cups that he and his father, J. W. Cook, won with their cattle. One was awarded to J. W. Cook & Son for having the champion load of Hereford beef cattle at the National Feeder and Breeder show at Fort Worth in 1912. It was given by the First National Bank of Fort Worth. The other cup was for the first prize car load of Texas Fed cattle and it was given by the Chamber of Commerce of Fort Worth in 1912.
        He served as president of the Commercial National Bank at Beeville for 12 years.


        The records show that Henry M. Halff of Midland was president of the Texas Hereford Association 1921-1923. Material about him is very limited.
        In addition to being interested in Hereford cattle he was a land developer and was very much interested in irrigation projects around Midland. In addition to breeding and feeding cattle he was interested in hogs and horses. He dealt in ranch and farm lands.

        A booklet he got out on land for sale carried a picture of Howard Hale, 9, who fed one of Halff's Herefords, Colonel Exall that was listed as being "Grand Champion Baby Beef" at the Fort Worth National Feeders and Breeders show. He topped the auction sale at 16 cents a pound. The date was not disclosed.


        George D. Keith of Wichita Falls, served as president of the association for four years. The first time he was president he served two terms, 1925 and 1926. Then in 1936 and 1937 he served two more years. The association never had a more considerate and lovable member than George D Keith. When he died a few years ago it brought sadness to all who knew him.

        Mrs. Keith, who is now living on the ranch just cast o~, Wichita Falls with their two sons, Kenneth and Jim, shared her husband's liking for Herefords and enjoyed his friends. It is but natural that the sons appreciate the beef making qualifications of Herefords. The Keith family had traveled thousands of miles attending shows, sales and other cattle events.
        Mrs. Keith one time told this writer that the most comfortable seat she ever occupied was a bale of hay at a cattle show. She explained that she would never sit on a bale of hay until she was utterly worn out and once down it was comfort at its best.
        George Keith was a mild mannered man and his calmness under all conditions encouraged confidence in his fellow workers. He smoothed out many rough spots in the life of the association both as an official and as a working member. He was supremely loyal to his friends and very considerate with those who occasionally differed with his views.
        The Fort Worth show never had a more loyal supporter. He joined with others in making the Wichita Falls important center in the Hereford industry.
        To mention George Keith without saying something about Bill Mitchell would be unthinkable. Mitchell died a few years ago after working for Keith some 40 years. Their relations went far beyond that of an employer and employee.
        The Keith herd produced many show winners and it produced some bulls and females that helped to make Hereford history in Texas.


        The late W. T. Lewis of Sweetwater, served ' ed as president of the association in 1927. His father, the late John R. Lewis, was the first or one of the first men to bring registered Herefords into the Sweetwater area. His brother, Charles Lewis, has kept the Lewis name alive in the Hereford industry throughout the years. He is very active in the National Anxiety Hereford Association and any other matters pertaining to Hereford cattle.
        Jennings T. Lewis, Blackwell, Texas, son of W. T. Lewis, is also a breeder of registered Herefords at the present time.


        The late B. H. Conner of Claude was president of the association in 1928. He was one of the early-day breeders of registered Herefords in the Panhandle, and he was another good cattleman who admired and bred Anxiety 4th Herefords.

        Mrs. Conner furnished the association with a copy of a sale catalogue that had an offering of 28 head that sold at Fort Worth, March 7, 1923. The late Fred Reppert was the auctioneer. Two fieldsmen were listed: Harry E. Allen for the Hereford Journal and Ralph W. Dawson of the Daily Drovers Telegram at Kansas City. Don Stanway was the main herd sire for Conner at that time. He was a son of Bright Stanway and out of Donna Anna 22d. Don Stanway was a full brother to Young Anxiety 4th, a sire that was prominent in Mousel Brothers herd near Cambridge, Neb. Bob and Henry Mousel are still breeding Herefords. Don Stanway was calved April 30, 1915, and was bred by Budgel & Simpson of Independence, Mo.


        W. T. Montgomery of San Antonio was president of the association in 1929. He was drafted to serve over his protest and was not present at the meeting the night he was elected. He declined a second term.
        One thing he did while president was to make a tour with R. J. Kinzer, secretary of the American Hereford Association to visit a great many of the Texas members of the national organization. It brought about a better understanding between the two associations.

        Montgomery owned an outstanding herd of registered Hereford that were west of San Antonio and which was sold to Joe R. Straus and took the name of Straus Medina Hereford Ranch.
        Club boys feeding calves bred on the Montgomery Ranch won many prizes at major shows. He was active in the San Antonio show and supplied foundation stock for many South Texas herds.


        The late John M. Gist of Odessa was president of the association in 1930. Uncle Johnie, as most of his friends called him, was a corner stone of the Hereford Industry some 30 years ago. He had a heart of gold where club boys and girls were concerned.

        He was one of the founders of the Sand Hill Hereford Show at Odessa. It came into existence under the most unfavorable conditions imaginable. He undoubtedly had a vision of what faith could accomplish. It seems a pity that he did not live to see and enjoy the big modern coliseum and the numerous barns that are now used at the show stock. His son, Marcus, has set up an annual" prize money for club boys in Ector County animals. It is a beautiful tribute to a grand old man.
        Uncle Johnie was a trader as well as a showman. If some one expressed a desire for a kind of animal he usually had it or soon found it prospective buyer. He bought many club animals actually should have been selling cattle. He was a West Texas cattleman, and to his way of thinking was only one good breed of beef cattle-Hereford& Herefords are the only kind of cattle that in the Sand Hills Hereford Show.


        W. J. Largent was reared at Merkel, but has moved" Hereford cattle operations near Raton, New Mex. He served the association as president in 1931 and 1932
        Most of his friends call him Willie Joe. He is known to as many Hereford breeders as any man is United States. He is recognized as an outstanding and has all the know how for displaying his animal to advantage. Naturally he is a good judge of cattle and evaluate the possibilities of an undeveloped animal as anyone. When he takes an animal into the show it is well fitted and well trained. He has won his full of prizes in all sections of the United States.

        For years it was a firm composed of C. M. Largest Sons. The sons were Tom, W. J., Roy R. and C. M. Jr. was a great team. W. J. was the front man in the ring. Some of the better herdsmen over the country their early training at the Largent Ranch
        Since moving to New Mexico he has turned to b and showing Polled Herefords. The firm name is W. J. gent and Son. If he were so inclined he could serve judge at many shows. He prefers to show cattle rather than judge them, and the United States has been his show ring.


        Walter L. Boothe of Sweetwater, was president in 1931, He is a typical West Texas cattleman. He was born in Gonzales County where his father was ranching, but his adult life has had Sweetwater as his headquarters.

        His faith in Hereford cattle has never faltered. Mm Boothe shares his liking for Herefords and particularly so if they carry some of the blood of the great Anxiety 4th. She has traveled many miles with her husband visiting shows. sales and field days. They have purchased some of the most popular bloodlines and they have produced and sold many good cattle.
        For many years Sweetwater Hereford breeders had one of the outstanding early-day auctions. Boothe always did his share of the work to keep it a success.
        At the annual THA banquet and membership meeting in Fort Worth in January, 1957 he had the distinction of being named an honorary member of the association. During recent years the constitution was changed so as to permit three outstanding members to be named as honorary members each year. Also honored at that time were his fellow townsman and Hereford breeder, Charles Lewis, and the veteran Hereford breeder John McInnis of Brownwood. Some of the early-day Herefords owned by Boothe were bred by John R. Lewis of Sweetwater, who was the father of Charles Lewis.
        Walter Boothe has always been active in the civic life of Sweetwater and Nolan County. A number of years ago he was a director for six years of Texas A&M College.


        Harrie B. Winston of Snyder, served as president of the Texas Hereford Association for two terms, 1934 and 1935. He and his brother Wade, who died a short time ago after being ill only a short time, had some of the better known Herefords in Texas and they operated under the name of Winston Brothers. Harrie was born in Archer County in 1890 and has lived near Snyder since 1907.

        When Harrie was 14 he and his brother started buying and selling commercial cattle. They acquired their first registered Herefords in 1917. Their herd furnished many breeders with foundation breeding stock. Club boys have done well feeding steers bred by Winston Bros. For many years this firm has enjoyed a steady demand for bulls to go to Mexico.
        Harrie Winston is a student of local, state, national and world conditions. He strives constantly to determine what made certain things happen or what kept them from happening. He studies economics from the cause and effect angle. He is not given to making decisions until he has studied things from all angles. Then he is apt to be rather positive in his belief, but he is always tolerant of the view of those who are inclined. to disagree with his views. He never assumes an attitude of being infallible in his decisions. These traits were to his advantage in his business dealings and he used them effectively while heading the association.
        He is recognized as a capable judge of livestock and their values. He has long been active in the affairs of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers of Fort Worth, and currently he is serving as one of its directors. He has the respect and confidence of his home people and he is a willing worker in worthwhile civic projects. There are few men in Texas who have a better understanding of the beef cattle industry from breeding until the meat is ready for the consumers than Harrie Winston.
        At the annual meeting of the Texas Hereford Association in Fort Worth in February, 1959, he was made an Honorary member.


        The late James M. Brook of Brady headed the Texas Hereford Association from 1938 through 1942 to mark up more years of service as president than any other man. During the early days it was the custom for the headquarters of the association to be located in the place where the president resided. Four of these years Edwin R. John son was secretary of the association and he too lived in Brady.

        Jamie, as he was known to his many cattle friends, was a cowman from every angle. He had an excellent registered herd and they won many prizes. He was also an extensive commercial cattle operator. He had some of the better grazing land in McCullough County. The number of years he held the office as president tell a convincing story as to the kind of service he rendered or there would have been a change.


           Jack Frost of Dallas was president of the THA in 1943 and 1944 and the association headquarters were moved to Dallas.
         When Jack Frost's name is mentioned in Hereford circles anyone who knows anything about Hereford cattle will instantly think of Anxiety 4th cattle. It is possibly one of the better known families of Herefords in the United States and its popularity continues. There is an Anxiety 4th Hereford breeders Association that has for a number of years held a sale at Amarillo. Needless to say Frost has been a backer of this association.

        Frost became prominent with his Herefords and sales at his White Hat Ranch near Blackwell - he still operates that ranch. He operates another herd of Hereford at his Bandy Ranch near Rotan, his Eskimo Ranch near Hereford and about two years ago he acquired another ranch property near Siera Blanca.
        The late Tom G. Paterson was secretary of the association during Frost's first term as president. The association ran into financial difficulties due to a combination of uncontrollable circumstances and no one will ever know just how much of his own money Jack Frost put into the association to keep it functioning.


        R. L. Wheelock of Corsicana, headed the association during 1945. That is the year that Henry Elder came to the association as secretary and the headquarters were maintained at Corsicana. It is an open secret that Wheelock dug down into his own pocket to make it possible for the association to continue its business life.

        Wheelock was a business man and for several years he maintained a good herd of registered Herefords and had out a show string of cattle. Despite the fact that his various business interests made it necessary for Wheelock to curtail his Hereford activities, it is a safe bet that he remains an ardent booster for the breed and remembers pleasantly his activities as a breeder and exhibitor.


        Roy R. Largent of Merkel was president of the association two terms, 1946 and 1947. During that time he worked about as much for his fellow Hereford breeders as he did for himself, and almost invariably Mrs. Largent made all the trips. They have two sons, Rust and David, and they are actively engaged in the Hereford industry.
        Roy Largent helped many club boys get started feeding Herefords. This help ranged from supplying them with calves to helping them work out a feeding formula. If a calf got sick they were more inclined to call Roy than they were a veterinarian.

        Roy was president and a director of the American Hereford Association, and this broadened his acquaintances among leaders in the industry.
        He has fed and shown many prize winning Herefords in the breeding cattle class and the fat steer classes at major shows over the country.
        He has an attendance record at the Fort Worth show that probably can not be equaled by anyone else in Texas. At the 1958 spring show at Fort Worth he was honored for his outstanding contribution to the Hereford industry and the Fort Worth show. There was a special day designated to honor him, and many of his -friends from Texas and the entire United States were on hand to pay tribute to him.
        His father is the late C. M. Largent and he says he has been working with show cattle ever since he was big enough to carry a feed bucket.


        The late R. Pryor Lucas of Berclair, probably did more to bring about 4,better understanding between the registered Hereford breeders and the commercial ranchers than any other president. , He served two terms, 1948 and 1949.
        In addition to being an up-to-date business man, he had been working with registered Herefords for many years. He was a commercial cattle rancher. While he was still in his teens his father sent him to Kansas City to buy registered bulls. His father, the late Cyrus B. Lucas was at one time president of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association.

        Pryor Lucas knew what it was to handle cattle when conditions were good and when they were bad. His ranching experience included periods of drought and times when there was plenty of moisture. He had sold cattle when they were high and he had sold them when they were low. He brought this valuable training with him to the association and he gave generously of his time.
        He liked people immensely. He was a good mixer and he kept in close touch with cattle conditions in all sections of the United States. Mrs. Lucas shared her husband's liking for cattle and meeting people. She continues to make sales and shows that are not too far from Berclair.
        Pryor Lucas liked to attend auctions. He enjoyed bidding and frequently got cattle in
San Antonio.


        The two terms served as president of the Texas Hereford Association by the late J. M. North, Fort Worth business executive, 1950-1952, has been described by some as "getting on the main line" as a going business concern. There was an increase in active members and a noticeable upturn in associate business firms and banks.
        The Texas Hereford Association with its permanent headquarters at Fort Worth, stepped into the spotlight for national recognition when it served as host to the National Hereford Congress in 1952 that brought leading breeders and students of Hereford breeding practices to Fort Worth.

        It was President North who gave the nod of approval for making The Texas Hereford a monthly magazine for keeping its members advised of both state and national happenings. Drawing on his long years of experience as an editor and a careful evaluation of the value of printed words, he interested some of the members in providing a special contribution for the purpose of promoting Texas Herefords and the Texas Hereford Association. Forty-one members contributed $3,975 to this fund. Some of it was used for advertising in livestock journals, getting the association magazine started and providing trophies for judging contests.
        The Texas Hereford Association during this period sponsored a Short Course at Abilene with the West Texas Hereford Association and another in cooperation with the Panhandle Hereford Association at Amarillo.
        It was during this period that the association was*very active as well as successful in assisting members in the sale of some of their cattle. The records for 1951 show that more than $400,000 was paid to members for around 1,000 cattle that were sold by members in which the association cooperated.
        The Association and its monthly magazine, The Texas -Hereford, in their joint efforts functioned in a businesslike manner that placed the association in a place of prominence among other state organizations. In many respects it intensified the objectives of the founders in "Uniting, fostering and protecting of the interests of the Hereford breeders of the State of Texas."


         Ted Alexander, Canadian, gave generously of his time and talents while serving as president of the association during 1953-54. By birth and education he was well fitted for his duties. He grew up on one of the better known registered Hereford establishments in the Panhandle. One of his boyhood teachers, his father, R. T. Alexander, learned ranching the hard way when plain quality cattle dominated the range lands of Texas. He made a gradual change from the plain cattle to registered Herefords and their important role in upgrading and increasing the tonnage of beef in Texas.

        President Alexander did one thing in particular that was new. Almost single-handed, he inaugurated and put in action the Lone-Star-Register-of-Merit, which was patterned after the Register-of-Merit of the American Hereford Association. It will always be something to which he can look back on with much satisfaction. It was a further incentive for breeders to show their cattle where it could bring recognition to their owners. It gave recognition to owners of bulls that could sire winners in-Register-of-Merit shows.
        Early Register-of-Merit Shows were at Iowa Park, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Amarillo and the official state show at Palestine.
        The increase in the number of animals shown meant more money and better classes of show animals.
        It was during President Alexander's administration the association amended the by-laws and made it possible for the Executive Committee to select three Honorary Members each year.. Under this new ruling the three members named for this honor for 1953 were Mrs. Rupert Harkrider, Abilene; George D. Keith, Wichita Falls, and Dr. Charles H. Harris, Fort Worth. With all due respect to members who have and will receive this honor in years. that followed, it will be difficult to find three breeders who were more deserving because of their steadfast faith and loyalty to Hereford cattle.
        It was during this period that the second annual Texas Hereford Round-Up Sale was held that saw 466 head of cattle go through the auction ring in one day at Fort Worth that brought their owners $114,035. This was no record making sale price wise, but it came at a time when breeders were anxious to decrease their herds. Drought conditions were an uncontrollable factor that made it desirable to reduce herds.
        President Alexander and Secretary Elder attended the National Hereford Congress at East Lansing, Michigan in 1953.


        Henry Arledge, Seymour, served the association as president in 1955-1956. One of the things he did that earned for him the praise of his members was the employing of Bert Reyes as special representative to initiate the movement of cattle from drought-stricken areas into Mexico. Such action has no precedent in the history of the Association.
        This action was made all the more hazardous from a policy standpoint because of a lean, bank account of the Association and the program did involve an appreciable outlay of extra money. Drought conditions had grown increasingly more severe. 

        This action paid dividends far beyond the expectations of its originators. Mexico was in a buying mood and it was not long before Texas Herefords began to move into Mexico, and they are continuing to move into that area.
        Bert Reyes is a graduate of Texas A&M College and he served as a member of the U. S. armed forces In active duty in a battle area. Another of his many accomplishments was his fluent use of the Spanish language which enabled him to talk with cattlemen from Mexico.
        Bert Reyes actually grew up under the influence of one of the Association's outstanding presidents, Pryor Lucas of Berclair. Reyes father has been bookkeeper at the ranch for many years.
        Instead of being an expense, Bert Reyes was a revenue producer, a goodwill builder and he made many friends for the Association on both sides of the Rio Grande River.
        The Arledge-Elder team conceived and inaugurated another popular and revenue producing project- sponsoring the sale of feeder cattle at market centers, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Houston and in East Texas. Not only did these sales bring some money into the Association's bank account, but it rendered a service to the ranchers who supplied the cattle and focused the attention of feeders to Texas as a source of supply. Many of these special feeder cattle went into Northern States.
        There was a small increase in members for the association despite drought conditions that actually eliminated some herds or drastically reduced others.


        R. J. Roeder Jr., of Yorktown while serving as president during 1957, faced a change in conditions that were quite different to those prevailing during recent years. It was somewhat of a reconstruction period that had some problems despite the fact that one of the most severe droughts on record had ended.
        The beef cattle industry of the United States -it was not limited to the Hereford breed-was emerging from a new handicap that has no counter part in the history of the beef industry -dwarfism. Fear and suspicion that had been gaining ground among beef cattle owners were being replaced by a realization that it was not an insurmountable problem.

        Roeder grew up on a South Texas registered Hereford cattle ranch founded by his father, R. J. Roeder, Sr. This practical experience plus his college training as a student and then as an instructor at Texas A&M College, helped him to adjust himself to a new set of conditions.
        While he was a member of the armed forces and in England he had familiarized himself with some of the beef cattle problems of that country. In addition to playing an important role in founding the Hereford breed of cattle, it has learned to face problems with a determination to win.
        His administration unquestionably was faced with more problems than any other one in the history of the association.
        It was during his administration that the constitution was changed to make it possible to have four vice presidents with each from and serving a different section of the state to advise and work with the president
        The year 1957 was a most trying period for all parties concerned, but many of the problems had been recognized and solved, and when judged from all angles the association was stronger and better equipped to take care of itself than it was some 12 months earlier. College men and practical ranchers were working together for the betterment of the beef cattle industry.


      Tomie M. Potts of Memphis, was elected president of the Texas Hereford Association early in 1958 and as this is being written he is nearing the half-way mark of his second term.
        Tomie, as everyone calls him, brought to the association an unusual number of desirable characteristics that are so important for any organization
        He is likeable, approachable and a good mixer. Tomie has a keen sense of humor and as a storytelling entertainer he is better than many professionals who make their living as public speakers.

         Mrs. Potts shares her husband's liking for good Herefords, and long before he became president of the association they were traveling long distances to be present at shows and sales. Not only do they like good Herefords, but they have invested good money for foundation seed stock.
        Potts is a business man at Memphis and he takes a leading part in all the projects that are intended to make Memphis a better place to live. He will never tell you anything about his hometown activities, but his fellow townsmen take pride in reporting on what he has done, and is doing.
        His willingness to work and his business training have been very helpful to him in planning and executing programs for the association. He has a keen sense of news value but is never a publicity seeker.
        Tomie's column in the Association's monthly magazine, The Texas Hereford, is in a class by itself. It is a pleasing combination of sound thinking and clean humor.



        M. S. Gordon of Weatherford is listed as the first secretary of the association and served from 1899 to 1905. Some people thought he was either connected with the T & P Ry. Co. or the T & P Coal Company and perhaps the town of Gordon was named for him. That was not the case.
        When he left Weatherford, probably shortly after he ended his services with the association, it is thought he went north-possibly to Ohio, but it has been impossible up to this time to get further data about him.


        John P. Lee who served as secretary and his brother Phil C. Lee, one of the early-day presidents, have been mentioned in another section of this review.


        John C. Burns of Fort Worth served as secretary of the association from 1923 through 1926. It fell to his lot to get the office of secretary on a business basis as the men who served prior to his election were only part time workers, with most of the work being done during the show season at Fort Worth.

        In addition to setting up the office and working with association sales and shows, it is almost certain that he rendered an additional service to the members of the association by advising them in breeding programs and show programs. As a practical ranch reared youngster, a college trained man and an instructor at A&M College, he was a recognized cattle judge of ability. He probably did then just as he has always done throughout his business career, help others to solve some of their problems. He has the ability and disposition to do that in a most efficient manner.


        Mrs. J. C. Turley of Fort Worth, was in charge of the office when Burns went into other work. She had worked in the office while Burns was secretary. She handled the office from 1927 through 1930.


        D. G. Talbot a Fort Worth reared boy and a graduate of Texas A&M College, was secretary from 1931 through 1933. Since his college training had featured livestock work, he ran the office, helped with sales and auction, did some judging and assisted the members in many ways. Talbot is a resident of Fort Worth and continues work with livestock.


        Jack Turner who was reared at Hillsboro and graduated at Texas A&M College, was secretary from 1934 through 1938. His college training and liking for livestock enabled him to assist the breeders and help the club boys with their livestock projects. He was not a full time employee and neither was Talbot.


        Edwin R. Johnson became secretary in 1939 and served through 1942. This was while James M. Brook was president and the office was located at Brady. He was a full time employee and having worked on a livestock publication in Colorado before he came with the association. He got out more publicity and assisted with more shows than ever before. When he left Texas he went back to the Northwest in another branch of the livestock industry.

       Tom G. Paterson was secretary of the association in 1943. Headquarters were at Dallas and Jack Frost was president. He died while in office.


        Your secretary at this time, 1959, Henry Elder, came to the association in 1945 after the association had been without one for about a year. It is common knowledge that under his supervision it has reached an all-time high in memberships and achievements. He has had wonderful cooperation because he is a hard worker and knows how to get along with people.

        He was born in DeWitt County on Feb. 14, 1914. He got his Bachelor's degree from Texas Technological College at Lubbock in 1935 and his Masters Degree in 1945. He was a member of the livestock judging team from Tech that won at the Chicago International in 1934. After his family and his friends, Herefords come next with Henry.
        Better general business conditions have helped the association in many respects, but it has also challenged the resourcefulness of the official family of the Texas Hereford Association to be leaders in the beef cattle industry instead of bringing up "the drag."
        The handful of forward looking Hereford breeders who formed the Texas Hereford Association in a boot shop in San Antonio in 1899 undoubtedly would take much pride in their accomplishments if they could have but a fleeting glance at the 1959 edition of their association. They and their followers pinned their faith on a good product HEREFORDS.



4609 Airport Freeway      Fort Worth TX 76117      Phone 817.831.3161      Fax 817.831.3162

Copyright © 2001 Texas Hereford Association   |   |   Website designed by EDJE Technologies, Inc.